Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Much better, thank you

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think the pets are all back on track. After some experimentation, Roxie seems to be doing fine. We ruled out flea problems and stress problems, and finally linked her scratching to either a food allergy or her seasonal allergies. Yes, my cat is allergic to pollen. What a fussy cat she is. Normally her allergies manifest themselves in runny eyes for a week or two in the spring, but I guess as she gets older they're getting more severe. Well, so long as I know what the problem is, I can do something about it. She's now on a hypoallergenic diet (just in case it's the food she's allergic to after all), and she's taking antihistamines so that she's a bit more comfortable until it all passes.

We noticed a difference almost at once after starting her on the medication. She's back to her normal fussy, bitchy self. She comes out of the spare room and wanders around the house complaining, taking occasional swipes at the dog. She still isn't too interested in going outside, but that's probably for the best while Lady Spring does her thing.

And the fish! Oh, I want to be cautious talking about them, because I don't want to jinx it. But they're alive and active! Wait a minute, you're saying, didn't she only have one fish left? Did the others come back to life?

Yes, you're right, I only had one. But the pet store said the stress of a schooling fish being alone could end up killing it in the long run, so I sorted the aquarium issues out and brought home three more platies. "Sorted the aquarium issues out." Doesn't that sound so simple? It turns out it was a simple problem. There was copper in the water! I switched my water conditioner and badda boom! Happy, active fish! At least for the moment.

So there you go. It turns out the pet problems weren't so terrible after all. Thanks for the support while I figured it out. If you're really good I might tell you the story of Shadow and the Crazy Neighbourhood Dog Lady. Don't worry - it has a happy ending.

Filed under:

8 Comments:

Blogger m0nkey said...

I like that picture!

5:07 a.m.  
Blogger Rebi said...

thank you!

2:25 p.m.  
Blogger Dave said...

Fish tanks are fussy things. I remember when I got Dan Holland's fish tank from him, he ave me an hour long lecture on the qualities of tap water from the different neighborhoods of Victoria and how to counteract the native chemicals with a chemistry cocktail from the pet store.

Dan never really told interesting stories. But he sure did know a lot about fish water.

8:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for happy pets and the resulting happiness of you!!!

I like that picture too :) Hope everything else is going swell for you! ciao bella.

12:16 p.m.  
Blogger m0nkey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:21 p.m.  
Blogger m0nkey said...

You'd think a guy that owns penis fish would have interesting stories

4:22 p.m.  
Blogger Rebi said...

No kidding, Irf.

Well, I guess the next time I have fish troubles I'm asking you, Dave, seeing as Dan shared all of his wisdom with you.

8:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Cat health fioricet 1996 pontiac gran am engine information 2005 kawasaki zx-6r seat cover car cover printer cartridges hp Stop smoking health benefit Jon stewart and william and mary soccer Sign in on line bill pay mitsubishi discount mexican pharmacy that sells modafinil or provigil Bmw dealer part John newcombe tennis senior term life insurance quote in scotland mature gallery Oklahoma credit score reports dvd player air purifiers Ghetto gaggers kia

9:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home